Re: Caldera installation - something Debian should learn

On Sat, 24 Apr 1999, Craig Sanders wrote:

> > > with that one comment, i think you have guaranteed that debian won't
> > > take your config system at all seriously.
> >
> > I hope you're wrong.
>
> i hope i'm right. if you fail to see the flexibility and usefulness
> inherent in text files, then i can't see how it's possible for you to
> design a decent configuration system for unix...you're missing something

Well, what can I say to that? I hope you're wrong???

> fundamental to the unix way of doing things.

I accept your opinion. I don't argree.

> the fact is, you CAN engineer in robustness and backups etc into
> databases. that's true. however, you can't put back in the flexibility
> that you've sacrificed.

One of my other posts spoke to this.

> text files are essentially free-form, and comments can be left in them
> to provide instructions, commentary, and examples.

ditto.

> by contrast, databases are a rigid structure and a menu or GUI config
> tool is severely limited in that it can only do what someone has time to

install postgres and play with "pgsql"(I think it is). It's not what
I'd call a GUI. I'm not proposing a GUI for everything. I'm a strict
believer that command prompts are the fastest way to get stuff done.
But what command prompt is the fastest?

> program.  In a text config file you can leave a human language comment
> saying "Do X if you want Y" or "uncomment the next line to do blah".

You can put that in the db as well.

> text files are cheap. they are flexible. they depend on an intelligent
> human being to handle and resolve error conditions.

What if the human is einstein? He was a pretty smart kid but would
he use windows NT or unix if he was alive today? A hyperbolic
example but you get the point.

> config tools are not cheap. they are useful for guiding novices into
> configuring basic functionality, but they are not flexible and they tend
> to get in the way of an experienced unix admin.

See command line stuff above.

> for debian to take any configuration tool seriously, it has to support
> novices without hampering experts. this means that it should be a
> front-end to text files, reading and parsing existing text files and
> generating new versions of text files as output.

I disagree.

> we've had this discussion many times on debian-devel and
> debian-admintool - if you're interested, check the archives.

I will thanks.

> > > unix runs on text files, whether hand-edited or generated by a
> > > program. that will never change.
> >
> > UNIX will change. Get used to it(paradoxically).
>
> unix changes all the time - it's an evolving system.
>
> unix runs on text files.  that will never change.

We will end with the beginning -- I hope you're wrong.

| R Garth Wood                    | Making waves...                     |
| Stormix Technologies Inc.       |                                     |
| rgwood@stormix.com              |                                     |