Re: collect debian-admintools

On Fri, Apr 23, 1999 at 03:55:42PM +0200, Brederlow wrote:
> R Garth Wood <rgwood@peace.netnation.com> writes:
> > On Thu, 22 Apr 1999, Michael Bramer wrote:
> >
> That would show in every users menus. BAD.
>
> > > 1.) I wouldn't collect config files
>
> Why should you, dpkg can do that far better. :) Wait for my proposal.

ok. I wait... :-)

> > I don't understand.
> >
> > > 2.) it is to difficult
>
> Nope it isn't. My proposal includes that all configurations are in a
> seperate script and can be restarted at any time. Any such script can
> just be inserted into a database during installation.

I don't like a database.
I like text-files.

But I wait for your proposel, for more details...

> > > 3.) I would collect config programs and have a menu of it
> >
> > That's what I'm proposing.
>
> What about cvs, netscape, apache and many programms that don't have a
> seperate config programm, but just the postinst scripts?

YES!
This is the Problem.

We (debian) have a config Programm for cvs and apache. I don't _know_ a
config program for netscape.
A sort look on Content-i386 and you find >20 configprograms.

I would collect this programs.

> > > 4.) we have a very nice menu system, we don't need a new one
> >
> > Nono. This would not conflict with the menu system; it would just
> > add an intermediate step.
>
> The menu system is only good for stuff that every user has to see, but
> fails for stuff like config programs, that are only for one user or a
> small group.

You don't understand.
see and download:
http://www.debian.org/~grisu/dconfig/

it use the menu system, but not every user see the config programs..

Grisu
--
Michael Bramer -- a Debian Linux Developer      http://www.debian.org
PGP: finger grisu@master.debian.org   --  Linux Sysadmin   -- Use Debian Linux