Re: why should email v's ftp? (was Re: What DO you lose with Linux ???)

On Tue, Apr 20, 1999 at 08:42:11PM +0800, ivan@vianet.net.au wrote:
<snip>

> Don't we still have the spooling problem unless you can co-ordinate sender
> and receiver to be on line in different time zones in different parts of
> the world simultaneously.

Actually - I was thinking that you would pass the task of spooling and
serving the files to the senders nearest permenant server (their ISP for
example).  The ISP would be configured to accept files only from its
users, and would implement quota support, etc, etc.  The server would
be available at all times (excepting failures) thus no co-ordination would
be required.

Basically, the system would be a bit like having a ftp server - but with
more security and no knowlege of the lusers.

> Sounds like a fantastic project - count me in and put me on the dftp
> (_D_ebian _F_ile _T_ransfer _P_rotocol) mailing list.
>
> Ivan.

dftp....sounds good ;)

Chris

The box said "Windows 95, NT or better" .. so I installed Debian Linux
Reply with subject 'request key' for PGP public key.  KeyID 0xA9E087D5