Re: GNU

On Tue, Apr 20, 1999 at 09:39:20PM +1000, Chris Leishman wrote:
> Buglist or no, dpkg works extremely well.  It is by far a better package
> manager than anything else around.  Sure, there are a number of bugs, but
> I would be really conserned if a work-in-progress didn't.

I think it's a bit much to say that it works extremely well--there are
some major problems and some glaring missing features. (There's no
all-round better alternative, but that doesn't have any bearing on
dpkg's absolute quality.) But the question was basically, "should dpkg
get ported all over the place." That's a different question thatn "can
dpkg keep debian going." There are some very serious problems with dpkg,
and it has been suggested that the only fix is to rewrite major portions
of the code. So I ask, is it worth porting something that's got a
rewrite hanging over it?

Mike Stone