Re: /etc/init.d/network is too simple?

On Fri, 16 Apr 1999, R Garth Wood wrote:

> From: R Garth Wood <rgwood@peace.netnation.com>
> Subject: Re: /etc/init.d/network is too simple?
>
> On Fri, 16 Apr 1999, Victor B Wagner wrote:
>
> You should probably do as well:
> if [ -f /proc/net/dev ]
> then
> 	if [ "`grep '^  $interface' /proc/net/dev`" -ne "" ]
> 	then
> 		ifconfig ...
> 	fi
> fi

There is slight difference between list of interfaces which are found
by kernel and list of interfaces you want to configure.

With your setup, following questions arise

1. How to figure out which IP and netmask should be used for particular
interface
2. What if I want to configure new IP alias which isn't configured yet.

Proposed approach was simple:
 If sysadmin have defined actions to bring interface up, interface is
  brought up. It doesn't cover complicated things like specific routes
and proxy arp, but it is better then current state, when network can be
configured via some UI only during installation, and all but first
ethernet interface have to be defined by sysadmin without setting up
any guidelines for him.

I admit that I miss such things as dynamic interfaces, dhcpcd etc, which
was mentioned in this list already. But I doubt that there would be
perfect solution from first attempt.

For bringing interfaces down, you approach might be preferable.

Victor Wagner			vitus@ice.ru
Programmer			Office:7-(095)-964-0380
Institute for Commerce 		Home: 7-(095)-135-46-61
Engineering                     http://www.ice.ru/~vitus