Re: /etc/init.d/network is too simple?

  Hamish>  Big deal. Honestly, I don't see that the saving is even worth a
  Hamish> discussion.  RAM is cheap, swap space even cheaper.

Quite.

If someone wants to locally optimize their system [1], fine. The operative
term here is 'local'.  We have better 'big picture' things to work on [2].

[1] I know what it's like, having a laptop with a mere 16mb of ram.
[2] Please see Raphael bug score pages.

--
Sorry for replying late to your mail, but I have been been away for a few days.