Re: Removing bash (Was: /etc/init.d/network is too simple?)

* Jonathan P Tomer said:
> > All the binaries that might be necessary in such a situation should always
> > be linked statically - AFAIR, the old Slackware dists had a set of the
> > standard binaries linked statically and renamed to binaryname.static. That
> > would certainly be a way to go - after all, those binaries wouldn't take up
> > too much disk space...
>
> well, that's the beauty of sash... it's got all the important things within
> itself, so you don't need a billion copies of libc.a floating around in the
> form of static binaries for the contents of /bin. so i think that sash is
Aaa! That;s great! I have never actually used it, so I didn't know it :((((
(lame me :)))

> probably the only thing we need there. i don't like it as a login shell for
> root though, since it isn't designed to be comfortable, just effective and
> static. since i actually do use root on occasion, and see no need to suffer
> on those occasions, i create a toor user to be the stand-alone super-user,
> with uid 0 as well (this concept is btw an old bsd joke. the default shell
> for root is /bin/sh, as it should be, and there's a user toor with uid 0 and
> shell of bash, with the name set to "bourne again super user".)
Well, I've got such an account as well, but I use statically linked bash in
it. It's accompanied by a set of all the necessary tools linked statically.
And it works just fine when I need it :)))))))

marek