Re: Logo procedure and ideas

On Thu, 15 Apr 1999, Ian Jackson wrote:

> I think it's good that we're going to have another chance to produce
> logos.  Many of the ones from the GIMP contest weren't logos at all.
>
> Voting on a wide selection is a good idea, but I think we need to be
> clear that we can't have in the vote logos which
>  - are too Linux-specific
>  - are just text or the letter D in a funny font
>  - are actually pictures and not logos at all, eg
>    + can't be made distinguishable as a 32x32 or even mono 16x16 icon
>    + rely too heavily on colour
>    + can't be made to work both light-on-dark and dark-on-light
>  - rely on `in-jokes' to be interpretable
> I think it would be appropriate for some kind of committee to decide
> that.
>
> What we should be voting on is the concept.  When we have a good
I'm really happy that someone who is more important for the project than
me offers this opinion.  Please let us develop a concept first and than
a logo.  It doesn't matter how long the logo election proces will last.
Our releases need much time, too.  In my opinion we could elect a good
logo until potato will be released.  But we will manage it only, if we
have a *clear concept* what we want as logo.  Otherway we will
discuss until Debian version 17.4 about the logo topic :-(.

Kind regards

      Andreas.