Re: strange bash problem on potato

Dale Scheetz wrote:

> On inspection of your script, I see that 'case i in' is not what you
> meant. This line should be 'case $i in' and you will get the results you
> are expecting.

Yes, this is an error in the demonstration script. Besides, the script was
too simple. It doesn't show the bug I was trying to explain.

Nevertheless, is "case i in" formally correct, or why didn't bash complain
about a syntax error???

On further examining this bash problem, I cut down the bug script to a small
part which really shows the bug. I realized that this only happens if you
have locale support activated (ie. LANG and LC_ALL set).

This has already been reported (#34138, #35214) (thanks to Martin
Bialasinski for mentioning).

Greetings,

  Ulf