Re: Sendmail woes (was: make anacron a base package)

"Steve Lamb" <morpheus@rpglink.com> writes:

> On 31 Mar 1999 17:00:41 -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
>
> >Except the programs on my other machines that rely on sendmail
> >capabilities that exim is unable to provide?  That's not drop-in.
>
>     According to the accepted definition, it is.

How can something be drop-in if it doesn't understand the existing
setup and can't provide the same services as the existing item?  I
don't think that any definition allows a "drop-in" to be incompatible
with the existing setup.

> >>     Not edit your configuration?  Then how, oh how, do you configure it?
> >> Oh, wait, you're admitting that the Sendmail configuration is so esoteric
> >> that you are forced to use a macro language just to get anything done.
>
> >I fail to see what's wrong with using a macro language.  For all
> >practical purposes, sendmail.mc *IS* the sendmail configuration.
>
>     No, it isn't.

Why not?

> >Similarly, it's silly to criticize sendmail simply because it uses one
> >particular way of doing things.  You haven't said why using m4 makes
> >sendmail.mc inherently bad.
>
>     It certainly isn't an improvement of cf, that much is certain.

And why is that?

> >Again, what's the matter with a macro language if it's totally
> >invisible to the person configuring it, as it is with sendmail?
>
>     Because it isn't.  You should know that.

How so?  You edit sendmail.mc -- never needing to know about m4 -- and
run /usr/sbin/sendmailconfig.  Or, for most people, just rerun
/usr/sbin/sendmailconfig and answer the questions differently.

How is somebody going to find out, or care, that m4 is being run back
behind the scenes someplace?