Re: new package: gri, a language for scientific graphics programming.

Andreas Tille wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Mar 1999, Peter S Galbraith wrote:
>
> > Package: gri 2.2.0-1   a language for scientific graphics programming.
> >
> >  Gri is a command-driven application, as opposed to a click/point
> >  application.  It is analogous to latex, and shares the property that
> >  extensive power is the reward for tolerating a modest learning curve.
> >  Gri output is in industry-standard PostScript, suitable for incorporation
> >  in documents prepared by various text processors.
>
> Would you be so kind to do a kind of a comparison to gnuplot.

I can't really.  Gri has been around for longer than gnuplot, so
I never tried gnuplot since gri works so well for me.  I just
counted 926 gri command files on my system, so that gives you an
idea of how much I use it.

The really nice thing about Gri for me is how much it reads like
english instead of meaningless fortran-ish codes like
 `set x type (2)'
where 2 means logarithmic.  In gri, it'll be `set x type log'
and `set x type linear'.  The learning curve is rather short and
sweet in Gri.

>                                      A friend of mine pointed me also
> to a third program which does the job.  It could be found under
>
>    http://www.triumf.ca/people/chuma/physica/homepage.html

Looks nice.  If you use it, by all means package it!  We can't
have enough scientific software in Debian!

Peter