Re: glibc2.1 upgrade braindamage (bash broken, failing postinsts)

[ Non-developer delurk mode on ]

On Fri, Mar 26, 1999 at 08:41:12AM -0600, Steve Greenland wrote:
> On 26-Mar-99, 05:12 (CST), Joost Kooij <joost@pc47.mpn.cp.philips.com> wrote:
> > More worse, a colleague found his bash completely broken after the
> > upgrade.  The consequence was, that dpkg in effect broke also, as any
> > installation script using bash or sh would crash.
> >
> > To his luck, he still had a root shell open and we were able to unpack the
> > bash deb from potato manually and copy the bash executable to /bin, which
> > fixed bash.  After that, we could install the bash deb regularly.
>
> Yeah, I had that one too, posted about it a few weeks ago. Isn't it fun?

I had the same problem, in my case I'm someone who likes to download
packages and install them the old fasioned dpkg -i way. Hence I realised
not long after installing the new readline package that it broke bash. I
managed to downgrade the readline package manually, which fixed the
problem, install bash first, then the new readline.

At least, that's what I think I did. I was too busy trying to get my system
to work and stop segfaulting on everything that wanted bash to take notes
to file as a bug report. :(

> > I now wonder how many more installation scripts were not run due to bash
> > being broken at a certain stage in the upgrade.  Maybe I should run
> > "find /var/lib/dpkg/info -name \*.postinst -exec {} configure" just to be
> > sure everything is configured okay.
>
> If the postinst failed, then the status on the affected packages should
> be bad, so 'dpkg --configure --pending' ought to do the trick.

Actually, I found that when bash was segfaulting it left the packages so
screwed up that dpkg was demanding I completely reinstall them, dpkg
--configure --pending wasn't making it happy. In any case, a dpkg --audit
is probably a good idea.

--
- Shane King <thandor@ihug.com.au>     <ICQ#:2492866>
             <http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~thandor/>