Re: squid, openldap, and local4 in syslog

On Wed, Mar 24, 1999 at 02:49:10PM +0000, Russell Coker wrote:
> The latest squid package in potato writes it's logging data to local4 although
> I haven't seen any mention of this in the documentation.
> The latest openldap package in potato is documented as logging data to local4
> but does not appear to do so.
>
> I think that ideally we would have local? logging entries in syslog setup for
> different categories.  So if squid and apache share a log level while openldap
> and postgresql share another then it might be a reasonable use of logs.  But I
> don't think that squid and openldap belong together.
> Also ideally documentation should reflect what the programs do...
>
> I have not reported this in the BTS as I think that we should determine what is
> the right thing to do in this regard before bugs are reported (although I guess
> I could report bugs about the documentation).

OpenLDAP logs to daemon (I tried to change all the docs, but I guess I missed
one). OpenLDAP's logging facility is configurable (see manpage) so change it to
whatever you like. I think this is better than setting aside a special logging
facility just for it's purpose.