Re: Slink to potato upgrade

"Marcelo E. Magallon" <mmagallo@efis.ucr.ac.cr> writes:

> I've been following this thread with interest, and from what I've understood
> so far, if I use glibc as its _documentation_ says it should be used, I
> shouldn't have any trouble; the problems arise when I use what glibc 2.0
> _used_ to provide (but wasn't a _documented_ interface) but no longer does.
> It's bad programming practice, it's true, but it's also true that it breaks
> people's systems.  And that we should avoid.  That means _considering_ the
> possibility of changing the soname, but also means _not_ doing it on our own
> because that would render potato into a useless development plataform (in
> some situations you can't _afford_ to recompile everywhere, you need to
> provide compiled binaries)

Standard Unix lex produces C source code which does not compile under
glibc2.1.  Probably lex should have been changed, but users should not
be unduly punished for using a standard tool.  Many people have code
which uses lex.  Some of that code uses lex-specific features which
are not supplied by flex.  In theory, it should not be necessary to
run lex on each new platform.  The C code generated on one platform is
good on all platforms.

Remember that ANSI C has not been around forever.  Some of the rules
have changed over the years.

Is there a list of problems porting to glibc2.1.  We should compile
such a list if it doesn't already exist.  This list should be packaged
before potato becomes stable.

--
Kevin Dalley
SETI Institute