Re: help with logins not showing up in last

On Tue, Mar 23, 1999 at 04:45:16PM -0700, Ivan E. Moore II wrote:
> ok...I've been trying to figure out what's wrong with this and I'm just not
> knowledgable enough in this area to do it.
>
> somewhere during this particular glibc2.1 upgrade I lost the ability to
> log telnet's and ssh's (ftp's are logged) via last.  On 2 other systems
> I don't have this problem.   I've tried re-install different packages that
> were upgraded (libc6, sysv, locales, etc...) but there must be one I missed
> or something stupid I did.
Hi,

I looked at this a while back and posted about it.  Seems login, sshd, etc
are writing to /var/log/wtmpx as they probably should.  Wuftpd however is
writing to /var/log/wtmp so it's actually the one not conforming.  The
last program contains optimized code for reading wtmp files.  It doesn't
use the library calls but reads wtmp and utmp directly   when it should
probably read wtmpx and utmpx.

--
Shane Wegner: shane@cm.nu
Tel: (604) 930-0530