pthreads

Hi,

Simon Martin writes:
 > Environment: slink, g++ (egcs-2.91.60), libc6-2.0.7.19881
 >
 > Hi,
 >
 > I am developing a C++ socket class that I wish to operate completely
 > independently from the caller. To do this, I am trying to use pthreads to
 > spawn a listening thread that will handle all coenection requests. I do this
 > quite often and succesfully on NT, but when I compile with g++ I get the
 > error that it can't find "pthread_create" or "pthread_join", two functions I
 > use. I tried explicitly telling g++ to use the /lib/libpthreads-0.7-1.so,
 > but it still comes back with the same error. This seams to be the only
 > pthread on my system so I wonder what's going on.
 >
 > Secondly I am assuming that the pthread implementation is similar to the
 > Win32 implementation is as much a thread of execution is assigned by the
 > scheduler and shares process memory and resources with all the other threads
 > defined for that process. I seem to remember something about all threads
 > sharing the processes time quanta, but if anyone wants to expound I would be
 > very obliged.

Have you considered using ACE?  It is an excellent toolkit _and_ it is
part of the main Debian distribution, hence it is DFSG-free!  It
provides a standard thread interface across, POSIX threads, UNIX
International and Win32 threads, and much much more.  ACE is the
Adaptive Communications Environment, a C++ toolikit/framework.  It
even provides a standard interface for socket programming across UNIX and Win32.  It really is a great
library.  Check out the description of the "libace4.6" set packages in
dselect for good synopsis of what ACE can do.

I happen to be in the research group that develops ACE so please excuse
my "advertising." :)

If you want more information on ACE, please go to:

        http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ACE.html

HTH,
-Ossama
Ossama Othman <othman@cs.wustl.edu>
58 60 1A E8 7A 66 F4 44  74 9F 3C D4 EF BF 35 88  1024/8A04D15D 1998/08/26