X server problems and solution

After updating a number of programs and libraries, my Xserver stopped
working.  I was still using the old non-free Neomagic version.  The
neomagic server core dumped.  So did the other servers I tried,
including the 3.3.3.1 xserver-svga.

After living with this problem for a few days, I tried updating my
kernel to 2.2.1.  What else could go wrong.  Well, amazingly, the
servers worked fine under 2.2.1 kernel.

While this is fortunate for me, it seems like there is a problem
lurking here somewhere.  Does anyone want to guess the cause of the
problem, along with a solution?

--
Kevin Dalley
SETI Institute