Re: We can halve volume by not allowing nondevelopers to post

On Sun, 21 Mar 1999 10:13:48 -0500, Zephaniah E. Hull wrote:

>If you assume EVERYONE uses a 'modern' email client then your in for a
>nasty surprise.

    That is coupled by the fact that we should not be catering to ancient
and broken software.

>Hmmmm, lets see, I'm sending from a public terminal, probably configured
>to not allow one to alter the From: field to prevent forgery's, now, how
>do I make sure people can actually reply to my mail?

    Don't post until you get somewhere where you *can* do that.  By posting
from that terminal you can run into problems with getting a post onto a list
which does not allow posts from addresses which aren't subscribed and call
into question the validity of your identity.  There isn't anything that is
*SO* utterly important that you simply *MUST* post it at that instant in
such a broken configuration.  If it is, chances are, it is best said in
private.

>So, the last listed use, out of three, which 'may be of some help', is
>/THE/ intended purpose of the field, and in a case which is at the moment
>fine, we should kill the first two uses?

    No, it is *ONE* of the intended uses.  That is what I said.  One, not
The.  There isn't a *the* intended use because there are *three* listed.
All of which are equally valid.

>I'm missing something here, I hope..

    You are.  There is also a question of who is the sender.  The List is
the sender, not the individual.  The *SENDER* has control of Reply-to.

>No, read just a little more..
>
>     4.4.4.  AUTOMATIC USE OF FROM / SENDER / REPLY-TO
>
>        For systems which automatically  generate  address  lists  for
>        replies to messages, the following recommendations are made:
>
><snip>
>            o   If the "Reply-To" field exists, then the reply  should
>                go to the addresses indicated in that field and not to
>                the address(es) indicated in the "From" field.

>As per the RFC, a reply should NOT go to the address in the From: field
>if a Reply-To: field exists, so if you overwrite it you are preventing a
>easy reply to the sender...

    I do not see that.  It is for systems which automatically generate.
Obviously, a mail client which prompts isn't automatically building it, now
is it?

- --