Re: slink resc1440 disk does not work on 1GB memory machine

Hi,

David Bristel writes:
 > Try booting with a "rescue mem=XXXXM" at the prompt.  What I noticed on the
 > 2.0.xx kernels is that if I didn't put in that I had more than 64 megs of RAM,
 > it wouldn't recognise it.  I'm not sure if that's the case with the 2.2.x
 > kernels or not, but it's worth a try.

Kernel 2.2.x will recognize >64MB of memory.  However, the "standard"
kernel, i.e. unhacked kernel source, will _not_ use more than 960MB of
memory.  For example, I a have 1GB Dell server on which I installed
Debian.  Only 960MB is being used.  Apparently it is possible to make
the Linux kernel use more than 960MB but that would involve modifying
the source, which would require knowledge of Linux's memory model
which is way above my head. :)

If you are using a 2.0.xx kernel and have >= 1GB of memory, than add
"mem=960M" to your boot line.  You'll be limited to 960MB of memory
but that's the most you can get with the stock Linux kernel.  Note
that the 2.2.x kernels automatically max out 960MB so you shouldn't
need to add anything concerning memory to your boot line.  At least I
didn't need to add anything to my boot line concerning memory with my
2.2.x kernel install.

Can some Linux memory guru verify this? :-)

HTH,
-Ossama
Ossama Othman <othman@cs.wustl.edu>
58 60 1A E8 7A 66 F4 44  74 9F 3C D4 EF BF 35 88  1024/8A04D15D 1998/08/26