Re: GNOME universe

On Mon, Mar 15, 1999 at 11:47:24AM -0600, Rob Browning wrote:

> The reasons we have the / /usr split are historical and practical.
> Back in the early days there was a small amount of fast "disk", and a
> larger amount of slow disk.  On one of the early systems, I believe
> the latter was actually a large rotating drum.  You wanted to have the
> stuff that needed to be faster in /.  Today, practically speaking, you
> want / to be small and separate from /usr so you can hopefully limit
> the likelihood that a critical failure will hit the tools you need to
> deal with a critical failure.

AFAIR /usr is separate so you can mount it read only. At least this it what I
do. As /usr is the biggest partition on my workstation I would gain a lot of
time because it need not be check after a crash. Sadly the machine did not
crash since I set it up (last year)... ;)

> >From what I've heard this becomes irrelevant in the HURD because it
> has a much more sophisticated filesystem.  You can "interleave" mount
> points, so one partition can provide some of the files in /bin, and
> another partition can provide the rest (once it's mounted).  Perhaps
> something like:
>
>   mount /dev/foo1 /    # For normal root files.
>   mount /dev/foo2 /    # add normal /usr files.
>
> Though I have no idea how this is actually set up, and I don't know
> how potential name conflicts are resolved...

What about WRITING to this mount point? How should the installation be done?

mount /dev/foo1 /
[install base system]
mount /dev/foo2 /
[install the rest]