Re: glibc 2.1 broke a couple of things.

On Wed, 17 Mar 1999, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> On Saturday 13 March 1999, at 13 h 8, the keyboard of
> shaleh@clifford.livenet.net wrote:
>
> > of the process.  libc5 and libc6 were very different beasts, glibc2.1 is a new
> > version of 2.0.  It has a similar soname so it mistakes libc6 for 2.1.
>
> I've never read a good reason for that. Why did the glibc upstream
> maintainers keep the same soname when there is no compatibility??? (An
> identical soname means ascending and descending compatibility.)

Can you configure this program to send lines of a standard length?  74
chars, perhaps?

The reason they kept the soname is because binary compatibility is kept.

The fact that packages compiled against glibc2.1 cannot be used with 2.0
is, I admit, annoying.  I assume there is a good reason for this.

However, I'm glad they did keep binary compatibility - it has made our
job, as distribution makers, much simpler.

Jules