Re: GNOME universe

On Mon, Mar 15, 1999 at 04:37:00AM -0800, Jonathan Walther wrote:
> > > little universe, why not create a /usr/gnome/ (or /usr/GNOME/)
> > > hierarchy?  This seems to be so much more cleaner and we won't have
> > > annoyances like /etc/paper.config or /usr/bin/panel.  I guess if
> > > really needed, symlinks to the binaries could be created in
> > > /usr/X11R6/bin/.
> >
> > You should be kicked in the head for even suggesting such a thing. That is
> > totally out out of the question.
>
> Yes, /opt/gnome is the obvious solution.  Why are we so resistant to the use
> of /opt?  KDE plays nice and puts their stuff in /opt for us... I wish every
> third party software would follow suit.

How I see it:

/usr       - stuff Debian does goes here, whether written by us or not.
             If we release GNOME it goes here.  If we release KDE it does
             too

/opt       - stuff Debian does NOT do.  ie, at some point LSB will catch
             on and there's a chance someone will standardize some way of
             installing packages and possibly a file format for those
             packages to be in.  (rpm and dpkg both would have no problem
             adding support for that so it need not be an rpm vs. dpkg
             war, though it probably will end up being that at some point
             most likely)  If they don't, well things will be as they are
             now but binaries should go into /opt

/usr/local - Nobody should touch this dir, but everyone should make
             everything they release try to use it by default (whick they
             do anyway..)  Anything built on the local machine from a
             tarball should end up here.

this may be flawed, but it's how I see things happening.

Now I can finally explain to everyone why I do this.  I just got $7 worth
of free stuff for working on Debian !