Re: freedom-subtracted.debian.org (was: Re: KDE)

On Mon, Mar 15, 1999 at 12:37:01AM -0700, Bruce Sass wrote:
> I don't know how pgp5i would be labeled.

ajk@ugh[10:19:13]:~$ grep-dctrl -X -FPackage -sSection pgp5i \
 /var/lib/dpkg/available
Section: non-us/utils
ajk@ugh[10:20:03]:~$

> That still leaves a large percentage
> without a section field.  Could it be a quirk of a floppy install...

Probably.  The canonical Section fields are propagated via the Packages
files in the distribution media.  If you just install individual .debs,
you end up without them (or with non-canonical Section fields).

You could of course put the debs into a staging area in your hard disk
before installation, grab indices/override.slink* (or whatever) and run
dpkg-scanpackages on the staging area.  Then you could use apt in that
staging area for installation.

                 "Fight them without becoming them."
           (J. Michael Straczynski: Babylon 5, 3rd Season)