Re: GNOME universe

On Sun, 14 Mar 1999, Navindra Umanee wrote:

> Since GNOME (and KDE, but Debian snubs KDE) seems to be in its own
> little universe, why not create a /usr/gnome/ (or /usr/GNOME/)
> hierarchy?  This seems to be so much more cleaner and we won't have
> annoyances like /etc/paper.config or /usr/bin/panel.  I guess if
> really needed, symlinks to the binaries could be created in
> /usr/X11R6/bin/.

Aside from the standard objections you've gotten, the
Gnome-in-own-universe thing should not be encouraged. Eventually things
like paper.config should be shared between Gnome, KDE, and any other
program that cares. Unfortunately Unix is such a nonstandard mess from the
high-level-features point of view that Gnome and KDE have to ship with a
bunch of stuff that should be a part of the operating system, and Gnome
and KDE have had to implement a bunch of that stuff themselves. (MIME type
metainformation for files, a configuration file library, window manager
hints, menu files - also implemented by most Linux distributions - and so
on.)

For things to really work right, many of these features should trickle
into separate packages and be used outside of Gnome.

Havoc