Re: dpkg problem

On Sun, Mar 07, 1999 at 01:43:04AM +1300, Robert Donn wrote:
> What is going on:
> 	dpkg is aborting because of circular dependencies.

Yes, a particular interdependency seems to trigger a bug in dpkg.  You
see, an assertion failure is *always* a bug in the failing program, never
in its input.  And we know that dpkg is perfectly capable of handling
circular dependencies (for example, g++ and libstdc2.9-dev interdepend).

> What does it mean:
> 	Two or more packages, possibly libggi2 and libggi-target depend on one
> 	another, and so neither can be installed.

No.  It means that there is a bug in dpkg.  Nothing more, nothing less.
This particular mutual dependency just triggers it.

> How do I fix it?
> 	Rebuild the packages in question, removing one or more of the Depends:
> 	fields, or dropping it to a Recommends:.

No.  This is just a workaround.  You fix the bug by fixing dpkg.
At least it should display a decent error message and not have an
assertion failure.

There is a workaround, BTW, for the impatient: install the offending
packages (libggi2 and libggi-target-???) one by one with --force-depends.

	Antti-Juhani

                 "Fight them without becoming them."
           (J. Michael Straczynski: Babylon 5, 3rd Season)