Re: slink is gone, goals for potato?

On Wed, Mar 03, 1999 at 11:45:53AM +1100, Craig Sanders wrote:

> if we don't do something about it, people will be suggesting it again 2
> or 3 months into the potato freeze, AND the freeze after that AND the
> one after that too.  IMO it's the only sensible way of managing releases
> for a software project as large and as dynamic as debian.

   Suppose potato, woody, and whatever comes next are all created and
available for upload.  People uploading new versions of applications could
target the next release (potato) right up until the (short) deep freeze,
while people uploading new libraries and base packages could target
something later.  Application maintainers would avoid the more distant
releases until the library base was solid.  No one is stopped from
developing, you just have to judge how many releases you and your
descendants will require to become stable.
   There probably wouldn't need to be any changes to the current archive
maintenance scripts, though the release/ftp managers might need to override
poor distribution choices more often.  The "next" release might be in
perpetual freeze allowing only applications and critical infrastructure
fixes in until deep freeze.  Instead of targetting "unstable" we'd choose
the distribution by name.

--
Dr. Drake Diedrich, Research Officer - Computing, (02)6279-8302
John Curtin School of Medical Research, Australian National University 0200