Re: *BSD port of debian potentially easier than Hurd portRe: [Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>] Re: Debian & BSD concerns

On Sun, 21 Feb 1999, Joseph Carter wrote:

> Note you might have to build your Linux system on a UFS drive to do this
> safely/sanely, but it's doable at least and the result would still be
> cool.  =>

No no no, I really want to be able to switch to BSD on my CURRENT ext2
partitions.  the BSD kernel has ext2 support already... Can't it boot off an
ext2 partition?  The whole 'wow, cool' thing about it is having BOTH
systems... just flipping between em with a simple command.  No scrounging
around with separate partitions...  I'd like the "BSD-kernel dependant"
stuff to just be alternatives that we flip between, and the packages go in
debian-i386.

Later on, a port that used UFS for the base filesystem would be cool too.
In fact, if our bootdisks had the tools to make such partitions, and the
kernel included the support, Im sure we could make our Debian GNU/Linux
system run on UFS by default, or be user selectable.  THAT would be cool.

Jonathan