Re: Intent to package BladeEnc

Mikolaj J. Habryn wrote:

>    RW> What we need here is someone in the Free World who is willing
>    RW> to host this package.
>
>  Once again, I'm happy to provide an Australian site for this - as
>soon as somebody either confirms the legality or tells me where to
>find the information :)

I guess I missed the first time :)

As for the legality of such a thing, Tord Jansson (BladeEnc upstream author)
posted to Slashdot a few times a while back about this:

http://slashdot.org/askslashdot/98/10/24/1749257_F.shtml
(It's about halfway down - search the page for 'Tord').

Bottom line, Fraunhofer never filed a patent in Sweden (or Australia), so
there's no patent issues regarding distribution or use of mp3 encoders there.

Somewhere out there, there's an MP3 Patents FAQ but I can't seem to find it
with a google search right now.

BTW, thanks!
--
Robert Woodcock - rcw@debian.org
"It's like a love-hate relationship, but without the love." -- jwz, on linux