Re: Debian/GNU Freebsd (+binary compatablity?)

On Thu, Feb 18, 1999 at 11:58:45PM -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:
> > e.g. many will still try to claim that freebsd's networking code is
> > better/faster than linux'. it was, years ago. linux has been beating
> > freebsd in network performance for years.
>
> OK, playing devil's advocate here for a moment.  If that is the
> case, then why do we constantly see FreeBSD breaking records on
> ftp.cdrom.com while Red Hat, at Comdex, was balancing the load over
> several, more powerful, machines at a lower threshhold than the max on
> cdrom.com?

some possibilities:

because the cdrom.com people have a much greater level of skill in
tuning systems for high performance?

because cdrom.com have better hardware allocated to a mission-critical,
continuously-running service than RH allocated to a once-off event at a
computer show?

because benchmarks don't have much relevance in the real world anyway.

craig

--
craig sanders