Re: It's Time to Talk About Free Software Again

On Thu, Feb 18, 1999 at 10:58:47AM -0800, Bruce Perens wrote:
> I would not at this time suggest that you rub out references to Open Source
> or www.opensource.org on the Debian web site.
>
> I think we need to sit back and watch how OSI performs for a while. It became
> a _personal_ ethical conflict for me to be involved with them. That does not
> mean that Debian has to divorce them.
>
> I do think it's important to focus on the freeness of free software, but
> isn't Debian doing that already?

Certainly this is what Debian is about, but then, wouldn't it be fine
if OSI could install a different word for the same thing, targetted at
the POV of business people ?

OTOH, during the talks with the Zope people, I nearly was at the
impression that it might be reasonable to install a third way of
software that fits in the way of work of the free software community,
but gives some incentives back at businesses for opening up their
works. Like the infamous binding attribution clause for
Zope. Certainly, DC dropped the clause after Bruce' intervention, but
then, I saw some points in their arguments. I really hope that they
perform well, so that they invalidate my argument.

Still, I would like to have some first-hand information about the
status of the Open Source quality mark. Perhaps somebody from the SPI
board could post a status report from their point of view to
debian-private, since the SPI lists are completely quiet.

	Gregor