Re: Apt get dselect-upgrade

Jules Bean <jmlb2@hermes.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

>> I've done something. Not sure what. If I run apt-get update followed by
>> apt-get dist-upgrade all's fine.  If I run apt-get update followed by
>> apt-get  dselect-upgrade, dselect wants to remove 197M of software and
>> packages.

>> How do I regenerate the packages list for dselect so that it will accept
>> a dselect upgrade ??

> dselect-upgrade is not designed to run by hand.

> dselect-upgrade should only be run (automatically, invisibly from the
> user) by dselect, when apt is the access method.

Why?
I always run "apt-get -d dselect-upgrade" by hand, then move the
packages by hand from /var/cache/apt/archives to my local archive (for
use from other machines) and install the received packages using dpkg -i

This works perfectly fine here.

Please note, that I always run "dselect update" to update the package
listings and not only "apt-get update". Maybe that's the problem above?

Tschoeeee

        Roland

--
 * roland@spinnaker.rhein.de * http://www.rhein.de/~roland/ *
 PGP: 1024/DD08DD6D   2D E7 CC DE D5 8D 78 BE  3C A0 A4 F1 4B 09 CE AF