Re: Debian use of GNU (Was: Re: Best of the logo *ideas* so far)

On Thu, 18 Feb 1999, Jonathan Walther wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Feb 1999, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 18, 1999 at 01:18:45PM -0800, Jonathan Walther wrote:
> > >  2:  Silhouette of a GNU.  Love that too!  It shrieks "svelte"
> > > and "classy".  Thats how I've always wanted people to envision Debian
> > > anyways :>  What possible objection could there be?  We are a GNU project,
> > > and have more right than anyone save FSF themselves to use it.
> > We are *not* a GNU project. Our relationship to the FSF is cooperative and
> > closer then any time before the last years (we hae been a GNU project once).
>
> As the only Linux project with "GNU" in our name, I say we are.  If we
> aren't, maybe we should remove the "GNU" from Debian GNU/Linux.  Until then,
> as the distribution that has the blessing of Richard Stallman, why not use a
> gnu?

I believe you are confusing two things here. The name of the project is
"Debian", "Debian GNU/Linux" is the distribution it makes. In the future,
there will be other distributions, too. Not all of them need to have the
"GNU" part in their name. The logo must be for the Project, not for any
single distribution, so I guess the gnu is forbidden as much as the
penguin.

Remco
--
rd31-144:  1:50am  up 7 days, 7 min,  8 users,  load average: 1.20, 1.13, 1.10