Re: sudo and cracklib

On Mon, Feb 15, 1999 at 06:26:01PM -0500, Jean Pierre LeJacq wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Feb 1999, Chris Waters wrote:
>
> > Jean Pierre LeJacq wrote:
> >
> > > I'm not sure why you should be concerned about having cracklib.
> >
> > I'm not *personally* concerned, but I think that having everyone who
> > upgrades from hamm to slink suddenly start getting cryptic daily emails
> > from cron is a bad idea.  Fortunately, there has been a new upload of
> > pam to slink, so the problem is already solved.
> >
> > "Minimal" overhead is a relative thing, however; for a small server
> > which can't even *hope* to run X, for example, the overhead of a
> > cracklib dependency could be quite noticable.
>
> We're talking a function call here.  Any server can handle this.  The
> cron process can be run at night to regenerate the dictionary.

Personaly I don't see why the dictionary needs to be regenerated on a
nightly basis considering the fact that it hardly ever changes except
after installing new dictionaries, which could be done in the postinst
of that disctionary. The command could then be left for the admin to
call if she/he installs distionaries by hand.

As a matter of fact, I think I'll file a bug to this affect.

--
UnixGroup Admin                               <b.m.collins@larc.nasa.gov>