Re: Gnome to be removed from debian?

On Sat, Feb 13, 1999 at 01:23:53AM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 12, 1999 at 05:52:52PM -0600, Ossama Othman wrote:
> > > Mess is inevitable, and we have learned to live with it so far.
> > > Inexperienced users have problems with it, but Debian's position
> > > on the distribution dubbed unstable is defined.
> >
> > Indeed mess is inevitable.  If we are going to distribute GNOME in Debian
> > all we can do is try to minimize the mess (boy is that going to be a pain
> > :).  It'll be great once GNOME finally does become stable or even beta.
>
> Well, once the freeze is enforced on potato, it will be a snap to
> settle the GNOME apps down. Release manager will just say: "Okay,
> boys and girls, we now have gnome-libs 1.x.y, recompile with it.
> Anything else will be treated as a release critical bug."

This kind of thinking is what slows down releases and prolongs freezes.
You cannot just dump anything into unstable and figure that if it's
broke it will be fixed at freeze time. The general consensus _should_
be that what you put into unstable, you do as if it were in freeze, and
plan on it being frozen at any time so we don't have these problems.

Unstable is not a package dumping ground, look at the glibc 2.1
packages, which are not even going to be put into unstable until they are
tested.

UnixGroup Admin - Jordan Systems Inc.                 bcollins@debian.org