Re: Gnome to be removed from debian?

On Fri, 12 Feb 1999, Shaleh wrote:

> > I would almost propose that we disallow 'alpha' libraries from entering
> > the main distribution, perhaps providing some other venues for them (like
> > experimental was supposed to be). If the upstream author cannot be
> > bothered to keep the soname rational then I don't see why we should bother
> > to include it in our primary distribution.

> experimental is fairly hidden.  The cluebies want GNOME.  Can we make it more
> available somehow?

I'm just going to interject another post here that summarises how I feel
after reading all the recent postings on the subject.

There seem to be two views on this:
   1) It broke, you get both peices, it is unstable deal with it
   2) Well, yes it is a problem, we can't just axe gnome - but what to do?

To address #1 I would simply say that introducing a deliberate -hidden-
incompatibility between any of releases is entriely unacceptable.  We have
never done this in the past as a prolonged policy. Saying 'yes, just wait
until the new version of foo is packaged then upgrade so that it stops
segfaulting' is an unnacceptable answer.

This becomes even more important as gnome-apt and apt-get develop more
release awareness, being able to install a single package from potato and
the like. People want to run new versions of some things and we should let
them do that. It is my view it would be fine to say 'no you cannot have A
and B installed' but simply saying 'yes, when you have A and B installed B
doesn't work, sorry - why dont you read the mailing list?' is -LAME-.

I would suggest that the people packaging gnome get some space someplace
[*] and put their in-delveopment this stuff probably doesn't work packages
there and try very hard to make a micro release of those packages as a
whole into unstable. The goal would be to have all the gnome packages
actually work together and to have no undeclared interoperability
problems with previous releases.

As I understand it there is at least a problem with new libs not working
with old packages (the imlib issue I brought up some time ago) and a
problem with the various gnome bits getting out of skew with themselves
and breaking (I think this is what Adam found)

Jason

[*] <shrug> maybe dists/snapshot/foo ?