Re: More i18n of the base system : perl scripts

On Sun, 7 Feb 1999, Raphael Hertzog wrote:

> If I follow the policy, no package can depend on a lower-priority package
> and i'd like to translate adduser which is of priority 'required' so i'll
> make it required. The question is now "should it be essential so that
> we do nat have to add it to the dependency of each i18ed perl script ?".

If it were a shell script, the following could be done:

if [ -x /usr/bin/gettext ]; then
  echo="gettext -s"
else
  echo="echo"
fi

[ This is snipped from the .bash_profile in slink's base system ].

So, no, I don't see the need to make this essential or required (unless
perl scripting is less powerful than shell scripting, of course ;-), and
there is no need to make a shell script to absolutely Depend on a certain
perl module or the gettext program.

Obviously, those users who need gettext or the perl module will not be
interested in removing those packages, since they would lose a
functionality which is important for them, but those who don't need them
should be allowed to remove them.

Thanks.

--
 "8d8686c1cbb16faa52c6245155a47bbf" (a truly random sig)