Re: power switch on ATX boards

On Wed, 10 Feb 1999, Marco d'Itri wrote:

> On Feb 10, Christoph Baumann <chris@fsphys.exchi.uni-heidelberg.de> wrote:
>  >My problem is that I got the task to install some sort of info terminal
>  >using Linux. On thing is that the power switch should be trapped to allow
>  >the machine being properly halted. Is this possible? And if yes, how?
> You have to connect to terminals of the power on button a 1 mF 50 V
> capacitor (maybe built with two 2.2 mF 25 V capacitors).

And then what happens? I don't think this is what he meant.

At work, I have a PC running Win95. If you press the 'power' button (it
isn't really a power switch, it's wired to the main board like the 'reset'
button), Win95 intercepts the call to shut down the computer so Win95 gets
shut down cleanly. After that, the computer is turned off.

Now, the real question is: can Linux do that (issue 'shutdown -h now'
when you hit the power button)?

Remco