Re: xlib6g now depends on xfree86-common (?)

I should further add that, if we're going to amend section 4.7 of the
policy manual we should take into account the following fact:

It is in no way required that a program utilize the X libraries to take
advantage of the X Window System.  To date, the version of Xlib shipped by
MIT/the X Consortium/the Open Group has far and away been the tool of
choice for getting programs to speak the X protocol, but none of these
bodies demands that this be the case.

The X Window System software is a reference implementation, not the
standard.  The standards documents found in the xbooks package are the
standard.

If someone wants to implement a C++ library, Java library, or a bunch of
E-LISP files to implement the X protocol, there is no reason they should be
kept from doing so.  And there is no reason that X clients using such tools
should be forced to declare a dependency on xlib6g, which is only useful to
programs written in C.

*However*, X clients packaged for Debian will, by definition, have to work
within Debian's implementation of the X Window System (or one of them, in
the event we have more than one in the future).  In such a case, it makes
sense for them to depend directly on xfree86-common, or, if the class
library (or whatever) that generates X protocol requests for an X server is
separately packaged, for that library to depend on xfree86-common.

Hopefully this further clarifies the issue.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |   I must despise the world which does not
Debian GNU/Linux                 |   know that music is a higher revelation