Re: Intent to package: webmin (or another Web-based admin tool?)

On Tuesday 9 February 1999, at 18 h 53, the keyboard of Stefan Gybas
<cab@studbox.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote:

> The only thing that is not working right now is configuration of
> the network interfaces (this is something that is done differently
> on each distribution and so needs a special module). Adding users,
> mounting disks, configuring apache and bind etc. works fine.

The problem is see with LinuxConf, for my project, is that it attempts to solve everything, and is quite intrusive (every configuration goes through it, so you need linuconf, even if the configuration is done). Webmin seems less intrusive, more vi-friendly and quite simple to add to a system, even allowing some people to use it and some to do not.

So, from an technical point of view, I prefer webmin. We still have the problem of its non-freeness and I got no reply from the author about it (it is so much non-free that I need a special clearance fro the Debian package). Any other solution?