Re: Release-critical Bugreport for February 7, 1999

On Mon, Feb 08, 1999 at 11:19:19PM +0100, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Enrique Zanardi wrote:
> > I may be wrong, but if it contains absolutely no files, dpkg will erase
> > the old files before installing the new package, isn't it?
> > I'd say the package must contain the same files as the old one and clear
> > base.list in the postinst.
>
> If a new package contains all the files of another package dpkg will
> notice that and mark the older package as removed. It's the
> `disappearance trick', which was used for example in the move from
> modules to modutils.

It does not mark the packages as removed. My system here still has
modules installed, for sure! But the list file is empty. Similarly
I completely trashed on system by purging base (all of /dev gone etc).

OTOH, another hamm box of mine has modules gone, and base.list mentions
only some /usr/local directories. On ANOTHER hamm box of mine, modules
is gone but base.list still mentions many files in /dev, and the
directories /bin, /proc, /usr etc.

Hamish