Re: RFC: new network config (was: Re: network configuration)

On Sat, Feb 06, 1999 at 01:32:54PM +0100, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> Oh well I wrote a sample shell script and still would like to show
> off with it so I'm including it anyway :)
> This input: (file "foo"):
> # First interface
> interface eth0 {
> 	ip =
> 	mask =
> 	broadcast =
> }

This has the advantage (over the single-line format) of allowing optional
fields. It would be nice to be able to include say an IPX network address or
an AX25 callsign, eg

interface eth0 {
	ip =
	mask =
	broadcast =
	ipx_net = 00000010

interface sm0 {
	ip =
	mask =
	broadcast =
	callsign = VK3TYD

Perhaps the file could also specify which module to load for the
interface (or let kmod/kerneld handle it).

Also, it would be nice if you could bring up selected interfaces later
than boot time. I usually don't bring up sm0 (soundmodem) unless I'm going
to use it; otherwise I'd rather use the sound card for sound.