Re: Non Program Freeness

> However, what about other documents that aren't part of any program?
> Let's take the DFSG as an example.  Let's say Star Divisions wanted
> their StarOffice to be considered Free Software.  If the DFSG is
> DFSG-Free in the purest sense, they could remove the clauses that
> make their software unfree and re-release it ... the DFSG.

The conclusion we more or less came to on this was:

If you change a 'standard' document, then it is no longer that
standard, and its license may ask you to reflect that.

Ie, if foobar.com changes the DFSG to their liking, to 'make' their
software free, then they may not call their document the DFSG.  They
may, however, utilize the DFSG as a base to create the foobar FSG.

Does that make sense?  The document is still 'free', and absurdities
such as modifying the DFSG are not allowed.

I think I sense another 'legal bullshit' debate coming on though, and
maybe it would be best to move this to -legal ;-)

Ciao,

        Debian GNU/Linux - www.debian.org