Re: -rpath with libtool and Debian Linux

On Tue, Feb 02, 1999 at 10:27:15PM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 03, 1999 at 02:22:14AM -0200, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
>
> > >    presumably aware of the consequences of your actions, both
> > >    beneficial and harmful.  If you use it, you have to be aware that
> > >    this can happen.
> >
> > How could a user that linked his program before the Debian Developers
> > decided to move the libc5 libraries be aware of the consequences of
> > his actions?
>
> You're making the thing too specific.  The point is that libraries can
> change; we're not the only ones that have done that (Linux isn't the only OS
> that has done that either).  Forcing the paths to be in the executable when
> they do not need to be should logically be thought of as bad due this this
> possibility.

You are wrong, IMHO. Libraries with the same soname must be compatible. Debian
broke this with the libc5->libc6 transition. It was our mistake (and teh
mistake of every Linux dist), and it is our job to fix that, not the job of
the libtool maintainer (who can't anyway).

Which other OS has done this mistake before?
Marcus