Re: Hardware manufacturer lobbying

On Tue, Feb 02, 1999 at 12:27:15PM -0500, James A. Treacy wrote:
> Since there is nothing that needs to be private about this, I have moved
> this to debian-devel.

    I have cc'd Dave Swegen (the originator of the thread) to make
sure he sees this since the location has changed.  Sorry if this
annoys you, Dave; it'll only happen once.

> A number of people have taken it upon themselves to write to companies asking
> for changes in their license. This does not have to be done in an official
> capacity. The reasons for changing the license aren't changed by making the
> statement official. Just present yourself as a concerned Debian developer
> and 3dfx card owner (or strongly considering buying one) who is unhappy that
> he is not able to enjoy the benefits of his wonderful card due to their
> stupidity^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H overly restrictive license.

    Just so people know, I am currently in contact with 3dfx over
this.  I started a couple of months ago and am finally getting through
to people who should be in the know (had bad problems with people not
calling me back, but it seems to be getting better now.  Specifically,
I've been guided towards a fellow named Al Reyes who is supposed to be
in charge of Glide licensing and the like.  I have stated that I am
with the Debian project but have not stated that I am doing this in an
official capacity.  I am currently waiting for a callback.  I am
currently looking at only the licensing/distribution issue, and making
the argument only from the effect that it has already had (loss of
mesa-glide package, etc.).  If someone wants me to bring up another
issue in addition or otherwise coordinate something with me, drop me a
line.  My mail was bouncing for a while (I've changed ISP's and am
getting a new domain name) but mail to zed@debian.org should work
again now.
    I'm horribly busy right now, actually, and behind on a lot of
things, but this is still up on my list.  Thanks to whomever NMU'd
splay for me; I'd ask you to warn me first next time, but I'm not sure
you didn't and my mail bounced it :)

 Zed Pobre <zed@va.debian.org> | PGP key on servers, fingerprint on finger