Re: Did you know that nfs mount requires accurate time?

On Tue, Feb 02, 1999 at 01:46:54AM -0700, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Feb 1999, Oscar Levi wrote:
>
> > This brings a couple of suggestions to mind.  First, Loic, is there
> > room on the install disks for hwclock about 32K I think.  I'm gonna
> > suggest to the d-boot list that we add an optional 'set time' step to
> > the install procedure for the sake of enabling nfs installs.  Also, it
> > would be keen if this time-set could be committed to CMOS RAM.  (Is
> > that what the UDBs have?)
>
> It seems to me it would be much more sensible to either
>   a) implement http/ftp and ignore this problem with nfs

Remember that we are talking about installing base.  There aren't the
facilities for apt at this point in the installation.

>   b) sync the local clock to the server clock using trivial time protocol
>      this is the smallest and most reliable option [netdate is 9k]

This could work.  The trouble is that we need to set it in CMOS, too.
This isn't a problem with getting the correct date.  I don't believe
that the clocks must be exactly the same.  Thus, netdate is one method
for getting the date, but it seems more appropriate to make it a
general change to setup where the user can set the system clock.