Re: Neat gtk/gdk-imlib pain

On 1 Feb 1999, Jim Pick wrote:

> > Ideally the devel GTK/etc -should- co-exist with the stable stuff, if it
> > doesn't then I think that is a serious problem. I can tolerate apps from
> > potato breaking left and right, but old apps from slink? Bleck.
>
> I'm becoming more convinced of the need for symbol versioning.

I'd be pleasently surprised if versioning could fix the gtk/glib/gnome
problems, but I think it's role is more to deal with minor corrective
drift that whole scale mutually incompatible changes. I mean if gtk1.1 and
gtk1.0 are not even source compatible it is crazy to think symbol
versioning will do anything to help them.

> When are we switching to glibc 2.1 in potato?  It's due to be released
> in a few weeks (if that).  I guess I could do some experimenting on
> the ARM port...

I think Joel is saying 'As soon as possible'

Jason