Re: dinstall can now announce packages & close bugs for you

> Adam Klein <aklein@scn.org> writes:
>
> > Hmm, is it really a good thing to have dinstall announce the uploads?  I
> > often depend on the announcements to alert me to new versions in Incoming.
> > In the new setup, the announcements won't come until the package is
> > installed, which in some cases can be several weeks.
>
> Um, hopefully it isn't several weeks any more now that Richard and
> James are helping with day-to-day work.  I'll consider pre-announcing
> new packages.

There was also the idea of running the announcement part of dinstall
every ten minutes or thereabouts.  Again, if you want help with this,
Guy, please let me know.

Does the new code yet handle the planned multiple -changes-<arch>
lists as discussed in the early days of this feature request?  If not,
can we work towards it?  That would also mean that it wouldn't matter
if the dupload package wasn't packaged quickly enough to stop
announcing packages, because the lists would be deprecated anyway.
(There would be debian-changes, perhaps even renamed
debian-stable-changes, but it's low volume, so matters not;
debian-devel-changes-source and debian-devel-changes-{i386,alpha,...}
would replace the current debian-devel-changes, with announcements
made to the current lists and the announce lists of these changes.
Architecture: all binaries would be announced on all of the
architecture lists, and any source upload of any sort would be
announced on the -source list.)

Please could you file a bug against dupload and devscripts to change
the behaviour of the dupload and release scripts to stop announcing
package uploads.  (I will only change the release script in frozen if
you regard it as release critical.)

   Julian

            Julian Gilbey             Email: J.D.Gilbey@qmw.ac.uk
       Dept of Mathematical Sciences, Queen Mary & Westfield College,
                  Mile End Road, London E1 4NS, ENGLAND
      -*- Finger jdg@goedel.maths.qmw.ac.uk for my PGP public key. -*-