Proposal for new architecture support/distribution

Hi there. Most of you probably don't know me. Don't worry about that; we
can save introductions for a more appropriate place (read; off the list,
private email.) Anyways, here I am, and I've got a proposal/idea that I'd
like to run by all you happy overtaxed developers.

A bit of history first, as it is somewhat important. For those of you who
don't know; Linux runs on PowerPC's. Yes. It does. Now, what big names do
we know that have PowerPC based systems? Let's see. Apple. Amiga. UMax.
IBM RS/6000 (RISC System series-6000 for the unacquainted ones).

Now, which one doesn't fit the semi-standard mold? That's right; the IBM
RS/6000. There's also a great deal of diversity among the RS/6000 line.
Processors used in the RS/6000 line are the Power2, PowerPC 603, PowerPC
603e, PowerPC 604, PowerPC 604e, PowerPC RS64 II, and the PowerPC with X5.
Currently, only the PowerPC 603e, 604, and 604e's are supported by Linux.

Another unique feature that the RS/6000 line has is SMP. The vast majority
of RS/6000's are SMP in the base configuration. There are *very* few Macs
with SMP. Almost none.

Anyways, getting down to business. The diversity and other differences in
the RS/6000 line directly results in some rather nasty incompatibilities.
All of which can be dealt with, without too much trouble.

So, I propose Debian/RS/6000. A distribution built specifically around and
for RS/6000's. Anyone who's dealt with AIX knows that it can be more
trouble than it's worth at times.

Currently, to the best of my knowledge, Oracle, Sybase, IBM, Star
Division, etc, have not put out PPC binaries of their respective products
that they have ported to Linux. An 'official' port of Linux to the RS/6000
line would likely convince them to do so.

The RS/6000 line is a highly respected line of servers and workstations.
Mostly servers. Ranging from single-processor F40 3D Workstations to the
monstrous HS, with the capability for over 32 processors. (*drool* Imagine
Linux on that!;)

Personally, I have had Linux running on two different RS/6000's; an F40
PowerPC Server with a lot of PC hardware[1], and a semi-stock Model
150[2]. I had almost no difficulty getting these systems booting Linux,
and doing other handy tasks, such as apache, samba, and even CD writing.

The goal of my plan? Little more than another piece of the key to Linux
taking market dominance. *grin* Seriously; just to port Linux to yet
another architecture, one that I personally have a great deal of respect
for, and know that many share the same sentiment for. And to give RS/6000
users and administrators worldwide a choice. For those of you who don't
know; RS/6000's only run AIX. There is no other 'official' OS for them.

I'm not saying that this won't be a lot of work. Believe me; it will be.
Many things will port very easily, but there are many things that will
not. And there will have to be a lot of work to get the larger RS/6000's
(ie; the S70 Advanced Server, which has 12 PowerPC RS64 II's) running
Linux, but I believe that it is a worthwhile task.

I started working on getting Linux on an RS/6000 about a year ago. Just as
a sort-of joke. With the developments over the last year, I've realized
that it could be a major thing. Unfortunately, I no longer have access to
any RS/6000's.

So what is needed for this project? Most importantly; hardware. RS/6000's.
To be a success, we would at the least need access to several different
RS/6000's. Preferrably an F40, an S70 Advanced Server, and a 397-series.
PowerPC 604e, PowerPC RS64 II, and Power2 processors, respectively. We
would also need manpower. One man does not a distribution make, afterall.

It is my personal belief that with a small group of dedicated people, and
a minimal amount of hardware to test on, we could have a working
distribution for 603e, 604, and 604e processors inside of 9 months.
PowerPC RS64 II based RS/6000's within 18 months to 24 months.
Power2-based RS/6000's within 18 to 24 months as well.

This could give Linux some *serious* market leverage, as well as major
support. With IBM joining Linux International, I do not believe it would
be hard to get support from them. Linux has already made headway into the
x86 server market; I see no reason why it couldn't oust IBM's RS/6000 OS
monopoly.

Feedback, ideas, input, etcetera are quite welcome. Personally, I would
like to get this project started as quickly as possible, but I do realize
that it would most likely require a vote. And I have no problems with
this. Thank you all very much for your time and thought, and thank you in
advance for your input. :)

[1] RS/6000 F40 PowerPC Server configuration:
Dual PowerPC 604e's @ 225MHz
Tekram DC390F PCI SCSI-UW controller (onboard SCSI not used)
Intel EtherExpress/Pro 10/100 PCI Ethernet
SoundBlaster 16ASP (Jumpered)
Diamond FireGL 1000 Pro PCI Video card
512MB ECC memory

[2] RS/6000 Model 150 Workgroup Server configuration:
Single PowerPC 604e @ 375MHz
Mylex BT-958 PCI SCSI-UW controller (onboard SCSI not used)
Dual Intel EtherExpress/Pro+ 10/100 PCI Ethernet
Diamond FireGL 1000 Pro PCI Video card
512MB ECC memory

- -Phillip R. Jaenke (prj@nls.net)
 "something is not right, but i don't think it's wrong." --anon.