Intent to package ippl - obsolescence of iplogger

Hi all.

I have been working with Etienne Bernard <eb@via.ecp.fr> on a replacement
for iplogger for a few months.

We have come up with a program called ippl (IP Protocols Logger) which has
the following characteristics:
* it logs ICMP messages.
* it logs TCP connections.
* it logs UDP messages.
* it is configurable, with Apache-like rules (ex. "ignore icmp from
*.debian.org").
However it does not do any ident query (yet?).

Although it is still under development, it seems to work fine, so I would
like to upload it in potato. For those of you who would like to try it out,
it can be found in http://master.debian.org/~hugo/ippl/packages/.

Any objections?

It means that I will soon consider iplogger as obsolete. It means that I may
still maintain it (unless anybody wants this package) but I will only do
security fixes. All the enhancement queries will be forwarded to ippl (I
have not heard from the new author for ages).

Regards,

Hugo

--
Hugo Haas (http://www.via.ecp.fr/~hugo/)