Re: What hack in ld.so?

On 30 Jan 1999, Alexandre Oliva wrote:

> > libtool is however the only piece of software that we cannot easially
> > change.

> then I said one could just as easily edit the libtool script, and I
> have even posted a script that would do that for you.

Ah I missed that script, maybe we should just use that for the time being?
(Sure we would be saying screw every other linux system, and binaries
compiled with libtool on an old libc5 system will still not work, but hey)

> Thanks God I've got only one group of developers almost forcing me to
> change something that is correct, and whose change wouldn't even help
> them work around a problem they're facing.

<shrug> I'm sure you have lots of screwball stuff to support defective and
broken systems in libtool, I don't see how doing something 'wrong' to
support another broken system like Linux is so bad.

You cannot deny that it is necessary, and that it effects more that just
Debian and our users but everyone using a libc5/libc6 linux system. It is
not a problem we are 'facing' it is one we already faced and arguably made
the wrong choice - So now all linux systems have this horrifying defect.
Oh Well. That's Life - we can't fix it.

> Ulrich Drepper has already mentioned that it's quite easy to modify
> the hard-coded rpath of a program without recompiling it, and that
> there's even a tool that will do that.

I actually think we have a program that does it as well, but somehow
adding something to a file in /etc vs 'stripping' every binary you install
on your system does not seem comparable.

> <joke sarcasm=off skip=(eval $mood==bad)>
> It has just occurred to me that you should hack `ld' so that, whenever
> it finds a -rpath switch, it prints a warning message like:

At the very least the linker man page should have a warning to this
effect, and as I said before, this is not a debian specific problem, your
program could very will not work on any other linux system, including
future releases of ours. Arguably that is what rpath is for, as strange as
it seems :<

Say, has anyone asked the glibc people if they will change ld.so to have a
different rpath behavior? Then we would be different than other systems,
but it might be worth it.

Jason